Shampoo Bar Sample Set
It can be hard to find the shampoo bar that’s right for your hair. And expensive to try a selection, since mostly you can only buy full-size bars.
Here’s something which I hope will help those of you who haven’t yet fallen in love with a shampoo bar or who are on the fence about trying - because it seems too hard to choose. Let me make it easier for you.
I’ve selected a sample set of my favourite kiwi-made shampoo bars, all full of good stuff and cut into small sizes. Big enough for a fair few washes (to really see how they go in your hair), but not so big you're stuck using up something you dislike. In total there's about 100gm, with each bar 'more or less' 20gm. They're cut by eyesight that's not 20:20!
Here’s the thing > I’ve wrapped them so they are anonymous.
Think of it as a blind taste test for your hair. This way all you are influenced by is whether, or not, you like how they feel and work in your hair. When you’ve decided which one or ones you like can you email me at email@example.com and I’ll tell you which bar to buy and where from. There’s nothing in it for me when you choose - other than the joy of knowing you’ll be on your way using shampoo bars!
Your sample pack will come with my own rating system. As you use each bar you make a written assessment - this is key. At the end of your trials, it will be clear which one has performed best for you or if you're not keen on any I'll tell you them all so you don't go wasting your money!
Not sure how to use a shampoo bar? Check out how I do it here.
Here's What You Need to Know About Installation and Care [Must Read]
Oh Hello and welcome to Block DockTM ownership. Your life is about to be better by bar!
This nifty vertical soap dish is designed and made in New Zealand. It will dry your bar fast, so it lasts longer, stays solid and is pleasant to use. Whether you use bars for hair, face, hands, or body (hopefully for all), you will get more value from every bar ever stored in it.
In time the Block DockTM will start saving you money because you will ultimately buy fewer bars overall. For committed bar users, it is more expensive NOT to have a Block DockTM than to invest in one.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT INSTALLATION AND CARE
Each Block DockTM vertical soap dish and shampoo bar holder is made from aluminium which is powder coated for durability. A suction cup for mounting is included. The Block DockTM is available in a range of colours.
The Block DockTM fits all shapes, sizes and brands of bars, and bars for every purpose. The shortest side of the bar can be up to 4cm deep. Slimmer bars store well too. It is simple to manually adjust the distribution of weight within the Block DockTM for stable storage, if needed.
The Block DockTM soap dish does its best ‘no-mess’ work when side-mounted to smooth surfaces where residue can run to a drain. It is perfect for shower walls and the insides of baths, basins and sinks, including oval and round shaped ones.
The suction cup WILL adhere to glass, mirror, vitreous china, steel, acrylic, and most smooth tiles.
The suction cup will NOT adhere to textured tiles, paint, and other porous surfaces because it cannot form the vacuum needed to work. If your glass has been coated with water stain protectant, it may not suction there either. If nothing has successfully suctioned to your surface before it will be the same for this suction cup.
Please give due consideration to whether your surfaces are suitable for any of the Block DockTM installation options and do not proceed if you perceive any risk.
- Locate your Block DockTM soap dish outside of direct water spray to prolong the life of your bar. Use your shampoo, conditioner, or soap bar straight onto your wet hair or body. It does not need extra time under water. Put your bar back into the Block DockTM when you are done.
- The Block DockTM is designed to allow air flow around all sides which enables your bar to dry fast and last. When your bar stays solid you won’t lose your money to mush!
- In basins and sinks it is a good idea to suction the Block DockTM to the inside the bowl and outside the fall of the tap water. In the bath it should be placed above the water level. This approach allows you to keep your surfaces clear and lessens cleaning time - because any residue drains directly away to a drain. Bonus!
- Clean the suction cup and the surface you want the Block DockTM soap dish to adhere to. Use isopropyl alcohol if needed and it is suitable for your surface.
- Thoroughly wet the back of the suction cup with water and place it in your desired location. Press hard on the head of the suction cup where you want it to stay. Check the whole of the suction cup is flat against your surface and stays put. Give it some time to be sure it has strongly adhered.
- Slip your Block DockTM over the head of the suction cup, pulling it down to fit tight in the top of the keyhole on the back face of the Dock.
- Add any shampoo, conditioner, or soap bar.
- If your bar is extra-wide, extra-long or especially heavy, cut it into pieces for use. If you are using a rectangular bar in a wide Block DockTM position it hard against the front flanges for stability.
- If your bar is not sitting comfortably, angle it with the top towards the back of the Block DockTM and the bottom towards the front. As bars change their shape and weight from time to time, you may need to adjust their placement after use for stability. You can also adjust the Block DockTM itself slightly from side to side while attached to the suction cup adhered to achieve balance.
- If your bar feels a little tight when new, gently pinch the legs of the Block DockTM together to give the bar a boost up. Within a couple of uses your bar will move in and out with ease.
- When your bar becomes small, begin to store it horizontally or lightly press it to the inner side of the soap dish. Use it in the flat of your hand until the last sliver disappears or attach it to your next bar while both bars are wet. In this way you can avoid any wastage.
- When you want to change the location of your Block DockTM soap dish simply lift the small tag on the suction cup and the suction will break.
IF YOUR SURFACE WON’T STICK TRY THESE IDEAS
- Give your suction cup a 10-minute soak in a cup of hot water then try the installation steps again, leaving time between each step - overnight is good.
Suction to the nearest glass surface.
Use the two multipurpose holes in the back of the Block DockTM soap dish to thread a cable tie (the best option for a tight fit), stainless wire, twist tie or similar through. Then tie tight around the shower rail or other fixture.
- Try a CommandTM brand wet/dry bath strip or ScotchTM brand outdoor mounting tape on the back of the Block DockTM. Always check if suitable for your surface before using.
- If your surface allows it, install with flat-head screws.
Wipe the Block DockTM soap dish clean with your finger while showering and then dry it completely. To keep it in tip top condition, clean weekly.
Your suction cup will also benefit from a regular clean. Soap residue on its back is best cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. In time the suction cup may need to be replaced if it begins to deteriorate.
With your good care the Block DockTM will give you many years of soap-saving service.
Take care not to scratch or penetrate the powder coating, and never put the Block DockTM in a dishwasher as these actions will reduce its lifespan.
If you have a Shower Dome® Shower Top or similar, be sure to give your bars some time in fresh air every few days. If your bar has gone soft, it needs time outside the shower. The Block DockTM will adhere to the outside of your glass or acrylic shower or stand on the flat in a ventilated area.
Your efforts to reduce plastic waste by ditching products in bottles and switching to replacements in solid bars for all your handwashing, haircare, bathing, and beauty needs are absolutely worth it.
- Think of the plastic bottles that will not be produced, and the fossil fuels not used up in that process. Think of the plastic waste saved from oceans and waterways, and the microplastics saved from littering our landscapes.
- Consider the volume of water savings, since bottles of liquid soap and shampoo are largely full of it, while a bar is concentrated goodness activated with water you are already using.
- Now clean and easy to achieve with the Block DockTM, making the simple swap from products in plastic bottles to replacements in solid bars will contribute to positive environmental change at not insignificant levels. Consider your own product use over a lifetime, then multiply that volume by everyone participating in this 'better by bar' movement. Who will you help to join?
- Designed to dry bars fast so they last, the Block DockTM soap dish will deliver more value from every bar you store in it, so over time you will buy fewer bars. It will save you both money and mess, with less time spent on bathroom cleaning too - because there are no soggy bars or messy dishes.
- Being small in scale, it is easy to fit multiples in your shower. Everyone can have their own bar, for everything, and no longer will you need to share your favourite soap. You can joyfully buy bars at markets and from soap makers in your community safe in the knowledge that your Block DockTM soap dish will keep them in good shape for use.
- Well designed and with a hardwearing finish, the Block DockTM soap dish (without the suction cup) is 100% recyclable at end of life. Being made from aluminium, it can be generally expected to hold value should it enter the waste stream.
I created the Block DockTM vertical soap dish and shampoo bar holder to make switching from bottles to bars easy and rewarding for you (and me) and I would love to know how you go using it.
Please visit www.theblockdock.com and leave a review or share a photo on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram: @theblockdock
I welcome your thoughts directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s to the health of our planet and to never suffering soggy soap again!
Shipping & Packaging
*thank you in advance for your patience with extended shipping timeframes during the Covid-19 pandemic*
We have a few shipping options for you to choose from at checkout and have kept prices as low as possible. We ship throughout NZ and Australia, and to some international destinations on request.
These are the prices for everyday-sized orders:
Within New Zealand Courier Post Tracked - Urban $5.00
Within New Zealand Courier Post Tracked - Rural Delivery $8.90
We offer free New Zealand shipping for orders $75 and over
In New Zealand deliveries are made within a few days of your order.
To Australia (NZ Post International Air Small Parcel Not Tracked) $10.00
To Australia (NZ Post Courier Tracked) $30.00
We offer free Australian shipping (NZ Post International Air Small Parcel Not Tracked) for orders $150 and over
Standard deliveries to Australia will generally take around 10 working days or so (longer at peak times and presently because there is less freight capacity crossing the Tasman). Sometimes parcels are inexplicably held by your local AusPost agency, so it pays to check there if you are waiting a longer than anticipated time. International Air Small Parcels are not officially tracked, but the notification you receive from NZPost when your Block Docks start their journey now show their progress to the point of reaching your closest Australian Sorting Centre. After that they're in the hands of AusPost to get to your door.
NZ Post Courier tracked parcels (the $30 option) to Australia have a 2 - 6 day delivery window following confirmation of uplift.
As an example for other destinations, below are the likely costings but please email me email@example.com with your full address and desired order and I can work out your specific costs.
USA, Canada, UK, France (NZ Post International Air Small Parcel Not Tracked, order value up to $250NZD, sent at buyer's risk and local customs fees if any are buyer's responsibility) $30.00
USA, Canada, UK, France (NZ Post Courier Tracked, order value up to $250NZD, sent at buyer's risk and local customs fees if any are buyer's responsibility) $65.00
If you are from beyond the identified shores, email me and I'll will work out the price for your destination if it's possible.
If you have a greater than household sized order planned or for some reason you need a different arrangement contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
Like the product, its packaging is simple and sensible.
The Powdercoated Aluminium Block DockTM comes nude (no wrapping) in the box with a suction cup. The wrapping has no real duty since they have a very hard-wearing surface and won't scratch each other if there's more than one in a box.
Presently for the Stainless Steel Block Dock soap dishes I engage the services of the crew at Southland disAbility Enterprises to make their final preparations for sale. The team do a great job, and I really love being able to support them in my own small way. Very occasionally something might go awry. In that instance just drop me a note and I'll sort it. Each Stainless Steel Block Dock gets wrapped in paper, matched with a suction cup, and packed in an embossed kraft box.
The Block DockTM box(es) come to you in a certified home compostable trackpak sized to suit. Our labels aren't yet compostable unfortunately - so they need to be cut from the trackpak before composting it. We get our bags from R3Pack and they have the icon for Home Compostable AS5810 ABAP20001 on them. They are plastic free and cannot be recycled. If you don't have a home compost system, I ask that you please ask a friend or neighbour who does to compost for you.
Only your products will be in your shipment. All other information is on the website and you are welcome to email me with questions and feedback. Your order will be confirmed directly via ShHopify following your transaction and its shipping info will be notified via the NZPost system when they take possession of your goods.
Our supporting information is easily accessed online so please check it out - before you buy and again afterwards if you need to.
Please message or email me with feedback or questions. All is welcomed.
Thank you for using bars and ordrering Block DockTM soap dishes to store them. I'd love to see your review on our website and a pic of your Block DockTM on location. Please send one here when you're ready.
I've been wanting to switch to shampoo bars for a while now as part of my wider more sustainable purchasing choices, and this sample set were perfect to get me going and decide which type I preferred! Also, the docks are so nifty for keeping the bar dry and lasting longer :) Love them!
How exciting to open a box filled with wonderfully individually wrapped soaps. We are working our way through the shampoo bar samples and are really liking the idea of reducing our plastic usage. Although we have yet to decide which sample will get our top rating, we do know that shampoo bars are what we want to be using. Even our kids are on-board with the less plastic and less waste....looks like we will have to be buying more than just a shampoo bar for us adults!
Enjoying trying all the bars still using them to rate them. Loved how they were wrapped up and presented
It can be so expensive trying to find the perfect shampoo bar.......and the temptation to go back to bottles was huge. Then I got my wee bar samples, perfect! Now onto my third bar and I have a clear favourite.
I'm really loving my block docks. No more soggy soap. It does exactly what the advertising claims. Just wish I'd read the instructions before I put the first one up cos it clattered down after about 10 minutes giving me a heck of a fright. Dampen the suction cup first. Doh. So far I've only tried one of the shampoo bar samples and not happy with how my hair feels, but hey, I have 4 more to try, right?
I purchased two of these sets, so that my husband could try them too and they are brilliant! An awesome idea to have samples, especially for those of us trying out shampoo bars for the first time! They last for ages too - I'm only on my second bar (and my hair is quite long) and my husband is still on his first. I love how there is a form included for you to write down how each bar works for you individually... I already have a favourite between the two bars I've tried. If you do want to try shampoo bars, I really recommend you getting the Block Docks too... They work really well and keep the bars dry between uses.
What an inspired idea!! So cool to be able to try out a variety of shampoos so that I can find one that suits me, without having to spend a small fortune.
What a great invention! Awesome for holding soap, reducing those plastic bottles and looks great too, what more could you want? Clare offers a friendly service and her shampoo samples are a great initiative too!