Here's What You Need to Know About Installation and Care
Kia ora, hello, welcome to Block DockTM ownership. Your life is about to be better by bar!
The Block DockTM vertical soap dish and shampoo bar holder is designed and made in New Zealand. It will dry your bar fast, so it lasts longer, stays solid and is pleasant to use. Whether you use bars for hair, face, hands, or body (hopefully for all), you will get more value from every bar ever stored in it.
In time the Block DockTM will save you money because you will ultimately buy fewer bars. For committed bar users, it is more expensive NOT to have a Block DockTM than to invest in one. You’ll also be roundly rewarded by the performance of our wider range of Block Dock accessories.
Thanks for joining the movement to give up single use plastic bottles and make the switch to solid bars.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLOCK DOCKTM ACCESSORY INSTALLATION AND CARE
Each Block DockTM accessory is made from aluminium which is powder coated for durability. A suction cup for mounting is included unless you opted to switch to nanotape during purchase.
When new all bars should be placed at the front of the Block DockTM soap dish. As they change size and shape with use, let them lean to the back.
Block DockTM accessories do their best ‘no-mess’ work when wall-mounted to smooth surfaces where residue can run to a drain. They are perfect for shower walls and the insides of baths, basins and sinks, including oval and round shaped ones.
The suction cup should be inserted through the keyhole at the rear of the Dock and pulled tight into the top section.
The suction cup WILL adhere to glass, mirror, vitreous china, steel, acrylic, and most smooth tiles.
The suction cup will NOT adhere to textured tiles, paint, and other porous surfaces because it cannot form the vacuum needed to work.
If your glass has been coated with water stain protectant, it may not suction there either. If nothing has successfully suctioned to your surface before it will be the same for our suction cups.
We now have an alternate option in the form of nanotape backings. Super sticky both sides, they adhere to an accessory and then also to your surface. Remove paper on both sides of the tape. Nanotape sticks to most surfaces but not all. Twist the accessory to remove and peel off residual tape.
Please give due consideration to whether your surfaces are suitable for any of the Block DockTM installation options and do not proceed if you perceive any risk.
- Locate your Block DockTM accessory outside of direct water spray. Use your shampoo, conditioner, or soap bar straight onto your wet hair or body. It does not need extra time under water. Put your bar back into the Block DockTM when you are done.
- The Block DockTM is designed to allow air flow around all sides which enables your bar to dry fast and last. When your bar stays solid you won’t lose your money to mush!
- In basins and sinks it is a good idea to suction the Block DockTM to the inside the bowl and outside the fall or level of the water. Keep your surfaces clear and reduce cleaning time - any residue drains directly away to a drain.
- The RazorDockTM is designed to fit a shaving bar in the back with a manual razor sliding into the front section, hanging securely until needed. Take care when accessing the bar at the back. As it gets smaller, push the bar up with your finger from underneath the Dock. When the bar is very small, store it horizontally. Locate the Razor DockTM where you can easily look from above to access the bar safely.
- Clean the suction cup and the surface you want your Block DockTM accessory to adhere to. Use isopropyl alcohol if needed and it is suitable for your surface.
- Wet the back of the suction cup with water and place it in your desired location. Press hard on the head where you want it to stay. Check the whole of the suction cup is flat against your surface and stays put. Give it some time to be sure it has adhered.
- Slip your Block DockTMaccessory over the head of the suction cup, pulling it down to fit tight in the top of the keyhole.
- Add any bar or other contents suited to the accessory you have.
- If your bar feels a little tight when new, gently pinch the legs of the Block DockTM together to give the bar a boost up.
- As bars change their shape and weight from time to time, you may need to adjust their placement. If your bar is not sitting comfortably, angle it with the top towards the back of the Block DockTM and the bottom towards the front.
- When your bar becomes very small, begin to store it horizontally or lightly press it to the inner side of the soap dish. Use it in the flat of your hand until the last sliver disappears or attach it to your next bar while both bars are wet to avoid any wastage.
- If your bar is extra-wide, extra-long or especially heavy, choose a SuperWide Block DockTM which is built for big bars. You can also adjust the Block DockTM from side to side to achieve balance – this can be necessary with very oversized bars.
- When you want to change the location of your Block DockTM soap dish simply lift the small tag on the suction cup and the suction will break. Nanotape must be twisted off.
IF YOUR SURFACE WON’T STICK TRY THESE IDEAS
- Give your suction cup a 2-minute soak in a cup of boiling water. Then follow the installation steps again, leaving time between each step.
- Suction to the nearest glass surface.
- Try the nanotape backings instead.
- If your surface allows it, install with flat-head screws.
Wipe the Block DockTM accessories clean with your finger while showering and then dry them completely. To keep them in tip top condition, clean weekly. If you have stuck them with nanotape, you'll need to clean them where they are using your finger and warm water (easy if your shower head is movable, otherwise a cup of water). Dry them in place as best you can before returning your bar.
Your suction cup will also benefit from a regular clean in very hot water. In time the suction cup may need to be replaced if it begins to deteriorate.
With your good care the Block DockTM will give you many years of soap-saving service.
Take care not to scratch or penetrate the powder coating, and never put a Block DockTM in a dishwasher as these actions will reduce its lifespan.
If you have a Shower Dome® Shower Top or similar, be sure to give your bars some time in fresh air every few days. If your bar has gone soft, it needs time outside the shower. The Block DockTM will adhere to the outside of your glass or acrylic shower or stand on the flat in a ventilated area.
Your efforts to reduce plastic waste by ditching products in bottles and switching to replacements in solid bars for all your handwashing, haircare, bathing, and beauty needs are absolutely worth it.
Think of the plastic bottles that will not be produced, and the fossil fuels not used up in that process. Think of the plastic waste saved from oceans and waterways, and the microplastics saved from littering our landscapes. Consider the volume of water savings, since bottles of liquid soap and shampoo are largely full of it, while a bar is concentrated goodness activated with water you are already using. Consider your own product use over a lifetime, then multiply that volume by everyone participating in this 'better by bar' movement. Who will you help to join?
LONGLASTING AND RECYCLABLE
Well-designed and with a hardwearing finish, the Block DockTM accessories (without the suction cup/nanotape) are 100% recyclable at end of life. Being made from aluminium, they can be generally expected to hold value should they enter the wastestream but we don’t think you’ll ever want to be without them!
I created the Block DockTM accessory range to make switching from bottles to bars easy and rewarding for you (and me) and I would love to know how you go using them.
Please leave a review or share a photo on Facebook or Instagram: @theblockdock
I welcome your thoughts directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s to the health of our planet and to never suffering soggy soap again!